[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN RFC] Onboarding

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Dec 30 08:21:33 EST 2015

Hi, Sam

What is our contextual help system?  Do you mean right-click popups?

Your proposal mentions the need for a simple trigger. The help button
(or a sub-option) should invoke the class specifying a particular
onboard 'tutorial'.
For Python that seems very straightforward.

Yes,  there is the initial 'onboarding' prerequisite that enables the
user to use your onboarding: opening the laptop, powering up, hitting
keyboard keys with the end of the fingers (knuckles bent), knowing where
the trackpad and mouse keys are, knowing that moving one's finger on the
trackpad moves a cursor, what is a cursor and so on).  I have seen XOs
in schools where the participants have never even seen a light-switch.
So yes, they would also need to know how to click on a help button to
start an 'onboarding' tutorial. However, once that is understood, it
becomes easy to build tutorials using the same underlying software so
that deployments and community members can help.

Onboarding for an editor involves knowing how to open a new document or
restore an existing one. Once some text is available for editing,
knowing how to set the focus by moving the cursor, knowing how to insert
and delete text. Many beginners have trouble knowing that the computer
performs editing actions untile the enter key is pressed.

If you provide a python implementation with methods, then json or some
other technique could be used to invoke those methods. It might be
useful to look
at your scenarios and how they might be described as data:

{'hotspot':'Record.activity','popup':'recordpopup.png','click':'Record.activity',
'expect':'recordmainpage.png'}

Whether you use json is immaterial. However, an approach going through
your scenarios in some pseudocode (imaginig you are developing an
interpreter) can help you imagine what methods will be needed, what will
need to be shown on popups, and how you will be able to test for completion.

Tony