[Sugar-devel] Current status of collaboration work

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 25 22:28:13 EST 2015

Thanks all for the thread and replies.

I'm not sure I understand the situation fully yet, but I'll make some
comments regardless.  Hopefully any disconnect between my comments and
your understanding will help fix mine.

I've learned long ago, to not change network protocols in a way that
breaks things.  Interoperability is critical, regardless of difficulty
of implementation or complexity.

The Tubes API is effectively a network protocol.

If we release a version of Sugar that is incompatible with previous
versions of Sugar, at a network protocol level, what will happen?

If we release a version of an activity with incompatibility, what
will happen?

We've seen what happens, even with the trivial problems introduced by
the activity.info file and the Gtk3 port.  The bias of the first
failure report is severe and lasting.  Our users don't upgrade.  They
persist with an old version of Sugar, like 0.96 on OLPC OS 12.1.0.  In
effect, they ignore the Sugar developer community until the job is
finished, the problems are fixed, or sufficient reasons are built up
to upgrade.  During which we have no end-user feedback into the
development process.  It has taken years to recover from the post-0.96
breakage.

Tony made a remark about Fedora amok.  Perhaps it was deeper than
that, perhaps it was a failure of advocacy for the Tubes API, in the
context of the Telepathy community, by members of the Sugar Labs
developer community.  Rhetorical; did they know we were using it?

If it was a failure of advocacy, we must expect further instances.
Some other API will disappear.

I've seen no detailed analysis of adopting the Tubes API into Sugar.
Why not?  What is so hard about taking the latest version of Tubes API
and integrating it into the Sugar code base in a way that we can
continue to use it?

Pull request 282 mentions 0.17.25, but of what package?  When did the
Tubes API get removed from the Telepathy packages?  Yes, for Fedora it
was 22, but we care about other downstreams.

On Fedora 18 builds with Sugar 0.107.0, I'm using

telepathy-mission-control 5.14.0
telepathy-salut 0.8.1
telepathy-gabble 0.16.7
python-telepathy 0.15.19
telepathy-glib 0.20.4

On Fedora 20 builds, I'm using

telepathy-mission-control 5.16.3
telepathy-salut 0.8.1
telepathy-gabble 0.18.2
python-telepathy 0.15.19
telepathy-glib 0.22.0

On Ubuntu 14.04 builds with Sugar 0.107.0, I'm using

telepathy-mission-control 5.16.1
telepathy-salut 0.8.1
telepathy-gabble-legacy 0.16.7
python-telepathy 0.15.19
libtelepathy-glib0 0.22.1

On Ubuntu 15.10 builds with Sugar 0.107.0, I'm using

telepathy-mission-control 5.16.3
telepathy-salut 0.8.1
telepathy-gabble-legacy 0.16.7
python-telepathy 0.15.19
libtelepathy-glib0 0.24.1

On Fedora 24 koji.fedoraproject.org says we'll expect

telepathy-mission-control 5.16.3
telepathy-salut 0.8.1
telepathy-gabble 0.18.2
python-telepathy 0.15.19
telepathy-glib 0.24.1

I don't have a test case for collaboration failure due to Tubes API
missing.  The feature page doesn't say.  I can't find a bug report.

The constant CHANNEL_TYPE_TUBES is to be removed?

I've seen patches that remove it from

sugar-toolkit-gtk3:src/sugar3/presence/activity.py

But none that remove it from

sugar-toolkit:src/sugar/presence/activity.py

Which is still used by older activities, right?

On the activity set bundled with OLPC OS 13.2.6, references to
CHANNEL_TYPE_TUBES can be found in activities; Record, Browse, Read,
ImageViewer, Pippy, StopWatch, TurtleBlocks, TurtleBlocks, Distance,
Calculate, Physics, Memorize, and Write.

The feature page doesn't list these or other activities to be
changed.  Do we know, or are we just hoping to remember them all?

I'm also wanting to see an interoperability matrix of some sort; will
new activities work on old Sugar, will old activities work on new
Sugar, etc.  I'll need to take that into account for users upgrading
laptops, where either Sugar or activities may be upgraded independently.

It would seem that the Tubes API was fairly critical to Sugar's
success.  ;-)

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/