[Sugar-devel] Speak Activity

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Aug 13 03:47:29 EDT 2015

No, not really.

The documentation still needs changing for the position of the
language selection, using the latest version of Speak, regardless of
your problem with Arabic missing.  That's what I thought you were
suggesting with:

> Perhaps the Help description on Speak should be updated.

Underneath Sugar, your problem of Arabic support is that "espeak
--voices" command doesn't list Arabic, because it is not supported in
eSpeak:

	http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

A quick search for espeak arabic yields Al-Mintiq and ar-espeak
projects.  Fedora doesn't have these packaged.

So it looks like a challenge to add Arabic.  Let us know how you go
with that.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:53:16AM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to make Speak work as described in the documentation?
>
> Tony
> On 08/13/2015 12:48 AM, James Cameron wrote:
> >Yes, please update it Tony.
> >
> >https://github.com/godiard/help-activity/blob/master/source/speak.rst
> >http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Help/Contribute
> >
> >On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 03:59:58PM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> >>Hi, Walter
> >>
> >>Thanks. Sadly, that shows we don't have Arabic support in Speak. Perhaps the
> >>Help description on Speak should be updated.
> >>
> >>Tony
> >>
> >>On 08/12/2015 03:40 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> >>
> >>     On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Tony Anderson [1]<tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>         Hi, Gonzalo
> >>
> >>         I am getting involved in a new deployment  which needs Arabic support. So I
> >>         was trying to describe what is available and what may need some work. I
> >>         wanted
> >>         to point to the Speak activity but first wanted to check if Arabic is one of
> >>         the languages. I was a bit surprised to find that language selection is not
> >>         in
> >>         version 51 (13.2.5). The help activity still shows it in the screen-shot.
> >>
> >>     It is still there, just under the voice attributes toolbar instead of
> >>     on the main toolbar. See attached.
> >>
> >>     regards.
> >>
> >>     -walter
> >>
> >>         Tony