[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Background selection in Journal

Ignacio Rodríguez ignacio at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 5 17:46:05 EDT 2015

Hi everyone.

Finally I got time for start to work on the features/patches that I
submitted time ago. (Too much time in school, but well, worth it :) )
In this case I would like to discuss the selection of background in Journal
[1] patch (maybe it’s a Feature)

The base idea is to add a option to the Copy to journal volume menu, for
make it more easy for new users..

Also move code for background settings to jarabe.model, so the apps would
be able to change the background (Not really needed in apps, but yes in
this patch)

Here [2] is a screenshot of how it looks

XFCE have a option for set as wallpaper [3]

I don't remember if gnome have one too

Right now it copy the image to “/home/user/Documents” for be able to see it
in Control Panel, but Sam suggested to copy it to somewhere in
“/home/user/.sugar” folder.

I like that idea, I think we can copy it to .sugar/background.[jpg/png]
(Also we can copy the  selected one in controlpanel for avoid problems if
the user remove it in Journal - maybe another patch)

Comments are gratefully received.

[1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/466
[2] http://people.sugarlabs.org/ignacio/Set%20as%20wallpaper-Sugar.png
[3] http://people.sugarlabs.org/ignacio/Set%20as%20wallpaper-XFCE.png