[Sugar-devel] Browse version using Webkit2

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Thu Apr 30 09:34:34 EDT 2015

I was trying to find a solution for the problem of Browse in XO-1.
After try use a old version of Browse, based in gecko,
and recompile the dependencies without success, I started to work in the
port of Browse from WebKit to WebKit2.

That will not work in Fedora 18 (because Webkit2 crash in F18),
but could solve the problem in the new community
images based in Fedora 20.

I have a basic version working, still with a lot of errors, but is possible
navigate,
download and see pdf  files and multimedia files.
A testing version (not for distribution) is here [1]

TESTING:
I can't connect to internet with my XO-1 with the community edition image,
if anybody can, please test this version and verify if this bug [2] is
still present
and if the activity crashes.
Report any error you find.
Known issues:
* History is not restored.
* Ugly error messages

DEVELOPMENT:
The porting is done in the branch webkit2 [3]
Master will only receive critical fixes. When the port is ready, will be
merged in master.
Code pending to port is identified by a a comment "# TODO PORT"
I found some blockers I couldn't solve yet:
* The objects where the information about the history is stored
have read only properties (title and url), I can recreate the history
with the data stored in the journal metadata.
* Need a mechanism to configure where download files, right now
is done in the Downloads directory and later copied to the journal.
* The error callback function in browser.py receive a int instead of
a GError. Looks as a introspection error.
* Don't know how store the coockies needed by the xs server with the new
API.

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/activities/Browse-158.xo
[2] https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12866
[3] https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity/commits/webkit2
[4]
http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/stable/WebKitBackForwardListItem.html
--
Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning