[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Start an activity from another, activity

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Apr 23 10:12:24 EDT 2015

Hi, Gonzalo

Browse (as most browsers) downloads any mime_type it does not know how
to display. I modified Browse not to display pdf (should be done in the
Read activity).
The Read activity does not display plain text (e.g. Rachel Gutenberg
collection - Great Books). This is something that probably should be
addressed.

The Show in Journal doesn't really seem to have any significance (like
switch to the Journal). Similarly Continue is a place holder. The only
button is 'OK' which must be clicked to get rid of the alert.

All I am suggesting is that you can patch Browse to use Sugar-launch to
open the activity you want (e.g. Read).

So far, I have found more confusion by the choice of default activities
to open certain mime_types. Currently, it appears that if there is only
one activity to handle a mime_type, it is opened by clicking on the
icon. If there is more than one activity, the top one is the default and
is launched by a click - except when the menu opens with 'start with' or
'resume width' (I am not sure of the difference there - but it adds text
to any instructions). If there is no activity to handle the mime_type,
the resume option is not available.

I am not sure moving this logic to Browse will enable automatic
identification of which activity is appropriate to open a mime_type
serviced by more than one.

I guess I am not clear on what problem you are trying to solve.

Tony