[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Start an activity from another, activity

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Thu Apr 23 09:54:43 EDT 2015

Hi Tony,
This feature try implement that in a smarter way.
Here a example:
* You download something in Browse.
* Browse can't manage every possible file. We include a pdf viewer,
but by example, we can't show a epub file in the browser or a piece
TurtleArt code.
* Right now Browse save the downloaded file in the Journal
and display a button "Show in Journal", because the Journal knows
what activity can open every file type.
* The idea is move that logic (the relation between file types and
activities)
to the toolkit, then Browse can say "Open this...."
and start any activity needed to open the file, or show a message
"You don't have any activity to open this file"
There are more information in the feature page in the wiki [1]

Gonzalo

[1]
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Start_activity_from_another_activity

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Gonzalo
>
> This capability has been included in Sugar from day one in the form of
> sugar-launch. Sugar launch can be executed by any activity using the Python
> subprocess module. I have added support for the options -o and -u. The
> first launches with a specified (Journal) object_id. The second launches
> with a specified uri. I haven't used the -u option, but -b works well.
>
> I sent an email earlier, but it may have been lost somewhere.
>
> Tony
>
> On 04/22/2015 08:31 PM, sugar-devel-request at lists.sugarlabs.org wrote:
>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:14:03 -0300
>> From: Gonzalo Odiard<godiard at sugarlabs.org>
>> To: "Sam P."<sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>
>> Cc: Sugar-dev Devel<sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>, Manuel Qui?ones
>>         <manuq at laptop.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] [Feature] Start an activity from another
>>         activity
>>
>>  >

>>> when
>>> has
>>> activities,
>>> question
>>> >

>> I would prefer land a simple version first (more thinking we have a end
>> for
>> new features in May 18)
>>

>>  >* Does the design deal with all the security stuff?
>>> >

>> Like what? This is just to start one activity from another with a object
>> from the Journal.
>>
>> Gonzalo

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning