[Sugar-devel] Settings Window Search

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Apr 16 07:50:12 EDT 2015

The purpose of an insensitive icon is that it cannot be activated.  It
becomes an affordance; a temporary environment in which the user can
be certain it won't activate as the mouse passes slowly over it.

Think of users with a cognitive or motor skill disability.  These
icons will activate a palette if the cursor dwells for only a short
time, and while that palette is visible no shortcuts respond.

I'm inclined to go the other way; change the Home View so that faded
icons cannot be selected or interacted with.

Then it would be more consistent with Journal and List View where
items not in the result set vanish during a search.

For consistency, two other places can also be changed;

- Neighbourhood View,

- Friends View.

I've verified this in Neighbourhood View.  Not having any friends, I
can't be sure of how Friends View works.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/