[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 78, Issue 15

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Apr 11 11:04:52 EDT 2015

Hi, Sebastian

This troll aside, I think we are doing the same thing with different
emphasis.

I am looking at Rwanda which is still deploying laptops nationwide. They
are currently using XO-1.75, but continue to support a large number of
XO-1 and XO-1.5. I really don't detect any understanding that schools
are different than GE. GE will depreciate their computer purchases and
replace obsolete equipment. Schools get one chance and then must make do
with what they have. The only end-of-life for XO-1s is when they are
scrapped or stop working or end up as museum pieces in the original
cartons in some principal's office.

This troll's estimate of 300,000 is intended to be insulting because he
has no interest in an accurate answer. The claim of 3,000,000 is based
on the number shipped (and even then probably a round-up number). This
is similar to the regular announcements that x organization is making
100,000,000 books available free to everyone or that a simple device
will provide access to the world's information throughout Africa or the
internet will be available to the world from balloons.

You know as I do, from hands-on experience, that there are far more than
300,000 laptops deployed. What we don't know is how many are being used
regularly and what impact they are having. You also know from hands-on
experience, that most of these laptops are XO-1s.

Even 300,000 represents an investment in education 60 million dollars
(plus shipping and handling!), not a trivial amount. This investment has
been made to improve the educational opportunity of children without
regular internet access.

My belief is that best course is to show what is possible with the XO
and open source software and open educational resources to facilitate
learning for those children.
Could we do better? Of course. Are we doing the best we can. Yes!

If this troll wants to help, fine. Then he can ask the incisive
question: What can I do to help?

Tony