[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] The touchscreen gesture to bring up the Frame...

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:11:22 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
> ...is:
>
> 1.- Undiscoverable:
>
>     (If you're wondering; you have to pass your finger thru the
> rightmost border of the screen from top to bottom).
>
> 2.- Only practical to do on XO (because the screen has a bevel). Most
> laptops with touchscreen in the market don't have this bevel.
>
> 3.- It's very easy to hit the Stop button (in an activity) when trying
> to invoke the frame from the touchscreen.
>
> 4.- Other ways to invoke the frame are equally funny: Alt-Shift-F, F5
> (or is it F6? I never remember)

It is F6.

> For all of these reasons, I think there has to be a better way.
>
> One or more of the following come to mind:
>
> a) We could add another hotkey. I've thought a lot about the CAPS LOCK
> key, for instance.

Not sure how a different hot key makes it any more discoverable.

> b) Add a keybinding configuration option to My Settings, so that this is
> configurable.

Probably we'd want to be able to configure all the hot keys, not just frame.

> c) Add another frame invocation touch gesture.

+1 to that.

> d) Admit we don't care about other hardware than XO (I do!)

Sugar Labs was founded on the premise of supporting as broad of a base
of hardware as possible; but it was OLPC that supported the initial
work on touch. Would be great if some other hardware vendors would
pitch in.

> Would be nice if the community and the design team would re-engage in
> thinking over some of our assumptions in the post XO age, for example,
> color.
> Otherwise it might be up to the development team alone (I guess that's
> where Alt-Shift F came from).
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian

Walter Bender