[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 78, Issue 4

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Apr 6 09:03:14 EDT 2015

Your workflow implies radical changes to the current Sugar design -
possibly justified.

The Human Interface Guidelines avoided usernames and passwords which is
understandable assuming a 1-1 correspondence of
user and laptop. It would be difficult for many younger children to type
their username and remember a password. Arrangements would be
needed for someone to have names and passwords to recover when a child
forgets.

How do you handle a user on one laptop who then logs in on another. Do
you have a way to download the Journal content for that user to the
new laptop?

When you say 'start versioning their program', what do you mean? I would
assume you are versioning the data file in the Journal object. Currently,
activities.py does not clone a Journal object on resume so there is no
way to fork. You would need to modify activities.py to enable a
different version to
be saved as an update to the previous version or as a fork.

If users are to be able to retrieve data files by version, how to do you
plan to make that visible to the user? Perhaps, the context menu for the
object would
list the available versions. However, the Journal interface is already
getting a bit difficult for young children to manage effectively (e.g.
looking at the details and then going back to the main screen).

How would a pull request work for an instance of the Maze activity?
Which activities do you believe produce a data file worth versioning?

Tony