[Sugar-devel] Google Code In

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:47:06 EDT 2014

I just submitted the Sugar Labs application for Google Code In (GCI).

For those of you unfamiliar with GCI, it is a programming contest for
children ages 13-17. We've participated the past 2 years -- it is
really fun but the reason why we participate is that we want to
re-enforce the message that Sugar belongs to its users and that they
have both ownership and the responsibility that ownership implies.
Just as learning is not something done to you, but something you do,
learning with Sugar ultimately means participating in the Sugar
development process. At Sugar Labs, we are trying to bring the culture
of Free Software into the culture of school. So the Code-in is not
just an opportunity for us to get some tasks accomplished, it is
quintessential to our overall mission.

It is now time to sign up as a mentor (See [1]). Our organization ID
is sugarlabs.
Mentors help coach the students on their tasks and can sign off on
work that is completed. (Note: mentors must be age 18+). Please
contact me if you have any questions.

regards

-walter

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2014