[Sugar-devel] Regarding the Sugar Labs Text to Speech feature.

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue Oct 7 11:42:05 EDT 2014

Good, this is a start.

We need two things to substitute espeak:
* We need svox packaged in fedora or rpmfusion
apparently is not completly free, then can't be included in fedora.
I wonder why is packaged on Debian.
Is already in the wish list for rpmusion [1]
If you are working on Ubuntu, probably is out of your confort zone :),
but many users of Sugar use the XO computers, and the distribution
installed is Fedora.
Maybe you can contact rpmfusion guys to get help moving this issue

* We need mechanisms to get the same functionality already available on
espeak,
off the top of my head:
 * get the list of languages availables
 * get the best language for the selected locale.
 * be able to pause/continue/stop a text played.

Please subscribe to sugar-devel [2] and continue the conversation there.

Gonzalo

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/Wishlist