[Sugar-devel] Installing SoaS in a VM

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:26:34 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I am trying to install the testing soas image in a vm,
> using the procedure datailed here:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation#Setup_a_Virtual_Machine_for_Sugar_on_a_Stick
>
> Using Fedora Boxes, starting from he live iso,
> and trying to run livecd-iso-to-disk, but can't run it without umount
> /run/nitramfs/live
> and can't umount because is in use.
> Someone tried that? There are other way to install the Soas in a vm?

Personally I would never do it like that. The way I do it is to boot
the live image off the .iso and then once you get to the sugar home
screen run terminal and run "liveinst"

The livecd-iso-to-disk script is at best a hack!

I'd love to be able to put an install icon on the sugar wheel or
somewhere within the UI but I've never managed to get anyone
interested in doing it.

Peter

PS There's a number of reasons I've never provided "official" VM
images which is due to similar issues to what you see above.