[Sugar-devel] Atom shell

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 13 09:06:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Christian Stroetmann <
stroetmann at ontolab.com> wrote:

>  Aloha Everybody
>
> Why don't you ask the creators of the Sugarfox project?

Because I can't find anything about that on internet?

> Seriously, FirefoxOS is an Android with Firefox as desktop, simply said.
> Even the development environment is based on Firefox. So what works on
> Firefox should directly work on FirefoxOS as well.
>
> This leads us to Node.js. Personally, I do not like Node.js, because it
> "internally uses the V8 JavaScript engine to execute code" and "V8 was
> developed for the Chrome web browser" for example, which was also the
> reason why I became desinterested in Open webOS. Maybe the issue with the
> JavaScript engine is not that worse.

I am not a expert on the platform. (Really, I should say, I am deeply
ignorant about that)
What I like is the development environment, and the possibility of use
already developed resources
to do the "standard" tasks, take photos, save and play music, browse the
web.
We spent a lot of resources to implement that activities, and is not our
core mission.
Also, FirefoxOS is pointed to cheap devices for the third world, the target
of Sugar too.

Gonzalo