[Sugar-devel] API-string freeze break request

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Fri May 9 00:02:48 EDT 2014

Personally I think the odds that someone would do a disassociation attack
to monitor or SSH into the laptops of Sugar-age students are low enough
that it isn't worth designing for.  I do not know of any consumer product
which currently tries to guard against being forced to search for another
network to use.

But it would be useful to have the ability to "lock" to a network (AP,
ad-hoc, or otherwise), and not resort to searching NetworkManager's
known/preferred list if communication is temporarily lost.

5 GHz ad-hoc is slightly tricky in that there are only a few channels
(36/40/44/48) one can manually select; the rest may only be selected via
automatic means.  According to Wikipedia[*] they seem to be reasonably well
accepted -- but in some countries they may only be used indoors (so no
"under the tree").

[*] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels