[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] Porting To Python3

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:36:35 EDT 2014

On 6 May 2014 13:50, kunal arora <kunalarora.135 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The amount of work needed for either strategy will be almost the same but
> in my opinion a codebase compatible with both python2 and python3 will
> actually be harder to maintain as whenever we change something in the core
> or toolkit we'll have to write polyglot code compatible with both python2
> AND python3 .

My impression is that using a subset of python that works on both is not
particularly complicated. I don't have a lot of experience with it but I
ported a few small projects and the changes was trivial. Also the toolkit
code doesn't really do fancy python things.

My worry is mostly testing, we can't expect people to test with both when
making changes. We can enforce writing unit tests though and make sure they
pass with both python versions. That's going to be possible only if we have
good coverage to start with and I'd say that's going to be the most time
consuming part of your work...

For entirely new modules we could also support python3 only probably.

> Whereas if go with complete port into a new toolkit we will just have to
> accomodate ourselves in writing code in python3.

What we are saying is that we don't want to obsolete the current python2
based toolkit. So if we make a new toolkit we will have to manually
backport most of the patches to python2 too.

It would certainly be easier to maintain only the python3 toolkit for us,
but it would be bad for activities and their developers.