[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] Porting To Python3

kunal arora kunalarora.135 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 08:42:34 EDT 2014

So, I did some research and found that it would be best to port sugar in
the following way:

1) Resolve the dependency issue - mainly telepathy . Telepathy-python has
been deprecated , so what would be the best way to deal with this? Would it
best to just port it to python3 or something else?

2)Port sugar-build to Python3

3)Port Sugar-shell to Python3

4)Create a new Sugar-toolkit-gtk3-python3 from the old one and also keep
the Sugar-toolkit-gtk3 for activities that haven't yet ported to Python3
and slowly deprecate it with time as more and more activities shift to
Python3.

How the porting would be done:

1) Choose a single module.

2)Port the tests carefully and if there is not full test coverage , write
some additional tests.

3) Update the code carefully to pass the tests.

These links were and will be helpful as we can draw on the experience of
organisations who have already ported their codebase to python3.

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Plan/Python3

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Port_Python_2_code_to_Python_3

Is there any other strategy which would be better?

Any feedback/comments are welcome.

Kunal

(IRC- curiousguy13)