[Sugar-devel] Activity failed to start!

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Sun Mar 23 15:29:23 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Kamal Kaur <kamal.kaur188 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello developers
>
> Can you please help me know the right way to download/install
> activities in sugar? I downloaded "Etoys" and "Develop 40" from
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/ from browser activity.
> Both are shown in journal. But when opened, activity icon flashes and
> there is a message: "Activity failed to start" Stop [ ] ( with stop
> button.

To know where the logs are see:

http://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html#dotsugar

Probably Develop & etoys problems are different.

If Develop log show simplejson import error, see this thread:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2014-February/047271.html

the error is already solved in git (git.sugarlabs.org/develop)
and a new release is planed soon, probably, next week.

About etoys, can you tell us what version are you using?
etoys need squeak vm. maybe is not available in your system or
the version don't match?

Gonzalo

> Even I couldn't find the logs in log activity. While trying to find it
> out, I reached here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Python_Standard_Logging_in_Sugar
>
> And from the above link, I tried 'sugar-launch <activity-name>'
> command. Which gave the output:
>
> kamal at kamal:~/sugar-build$ sugar-launch Etoys
> The program 'sugar-launch' can be found in the following packages:
>  * sugar-tools-0.84
>  * sugar-tools-0.86
>  * sugar-tools-0.88
>  * sugar-tools-0.90
>  * sugar-tools-0.96
> Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>
> So I used apt-get to install Etoys. It has downloaded 44.3MBs data.
> But the same problem is there.
>
> What I'm doing wrong?
>

> --
> Kamaljeet Kaur
>
> kamalkaur188.wordpress.com

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children