[Sugar-devel] Need your views, ASAP.

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:47:14 EDT 2014

Kamal,

I cannot speak for the whole community but my understanding is that Python
3 is not at all backward compatible with the Python we use now. If every
Activity we have had to be rewritten in Python 3 that would be a huge
impact.

You may be familiar with my book:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/

I recently (like a month ago) updated the book to use GTK3 in the examples
rather than GTK2. That was a big, but necessary, effort. The current Sugar
supports both GTK2 and GTK3, so no Activities need to be rewritten. GTK3 is
supposed to give better support for tablets and touch screens and of course
we want to use the latest supported software.

In any case, while using GTK3 over time may have a big impact in the short
term it doesn't break anything. I'm not sure we could say the same thing
about rewriting Sugar to use Python 3.

James Simmons