[Sugar-devel] Social Help proposal

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri Mar 21 09:10:35 EDT 2014

Hi,
I just wanted to point out that we (Sugar Network developers and
deployers) are quite alive and responsive.
So far we've worked under the radar because it's been hard to engage
the wider community around the targeted deployment (Peru) which has
huge logistic challenges, and we developed the first version since 2011
with Sugar Classic in mind (0.94, gtk2, gecko).

However, this year we are active and expect to shift our technologies
into post 0.100 world. Aleksey has ported the server component to
nodejs, keeping the same API.
Also, he's worked on a new client done in pure js:

It would be nice if Social Help could link to the appropriate SN
context for each activity, from looking at your demo. The url would be:

http://network.sugarlabs.org/context/reviews/<bundleId_here>

For example:
http://network.sugarlabs.org/context/reviews/org.sugarlabs.FractionBounceActivity

This leads to the reviews section of the corresponding activity
context. It might also be good to facilitate asking questions, posting
ideas or problems, in the appropriate links.
It is expected that these reviews will also sync with
activities.sugarlabs.org.

Note that with a Sugar Network plugin enabled shell, it is possible to
click on the activity icon and thus launch the activity (it will
download it in the background).

Sugar Network has been 2.5 years in the works now. Version 0.9 is
beginning a slow trickle into the 850.000 users in Perú (see
user.total stats).

One great advantage not covered by other options and crucial for Peru
is that SN allows for offline/online operation. It is NOT the same as
running multiple Discourse disparate servers. It was necessary to build
a SN server/client component that is capable of synchronizing with
other servers (and the main one on the Internet) and sharing what users
have been doing while disconnected, receiving updates as well.

Hope this helps ease whatever private concerns mentors have, encourages
an open discussion around collaboration, as well as given you more
reason to work with us.

Your proposal has a +1 from me.

Regards,
Sebastian