[Sugar-devel] Porting sugar to Python3

kunal arora kunalarora.135 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 06:59:43 EDT 2014

Hey Everyone,

Everyone seems to have a slightly different opinion of how to port sugar to
Python3.
So lets play a game.

Pure port to Python3:
Pros:
1) Relatively easier to implement.
(Writing code in only one language)
Cons:
1)Will have to deal with telepathy and any other non-ported dependency
2)We will have to maintain another sugar-toolkit-gtk3 (python3)

Python 2/3 compatible port:
Pros:
1) We will have to maintain only one toolkit.
(It will be a slow transition to Python3 in order to support python2
activities)
Cons:
1)Relatively difficult to implement and maintain.
(Writing polyglot code compatible with Python 2/3)

Rules of the game:
Correct if me or anyone else is wrong in any point.
Add any other points to the pros and cons list.
I'll add more points if anything else come to my knowledge.
And this game will end when we will reach a consensus over the better
method.
Let the game and discussion begin. :)

Regards,
Kunal