[Sugar-devel] Introducing myself

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:23:16 EDT 2014

Hi Gonzalo,

I kinda left the project descriptions a little vague in order to let the
students decide for themselves how they want to develop each project. But
I'll tell you what I think would be needed for each project.

For the Physical Etoys XO bundle we would need:
- Getting familiar with Physical Etoys source code, specially the one that
talks to the underlying OS.
- Check what has been done to support linux, see what works on the XO and
what doesn't.
- Implement whatever it's necessary to make all Physical Etoys modules (or
at least the most important ones) work on the XO.
- Wrap all necessary files and libraries into a Sugar Activity bundle.
- Testing, a lot of testing!

For the Etoys Touch UI:
- Getting familiar with the source code of the Etoys VM and Morphic.
- Check what has been done by Bert Freudenberg in implementing multitouch
for iOS.
- Implement whatever it's necessary to enable multitouch events on Android.
- Extend Morphic's event handling code to trigger multitouch events.
- Implement a default behavior in all morphs that matches what is expected
for eash gesture (scale, rotate, etc.)
- Test and document everything.

In both cases the student would need to be at least familiar with Smalltalk
programming and willing to learn a little about its internals.

Cheers,
Richo