[Sugar-devel] [pull request] Re: Better support for running non-sugar apps under Sugar

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Mar 20 14:40:08 EDT 2014

Hi
The intention of this email was actually to raise a discussion about
ways that Sugar could better
integrate with the rest of the GNU+Linux ecosystem.

Anyhow, Walter's answer was: Show me the code, so here it is:
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/283
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/122

This only covers point (1) in my plan: Try to use X11 window icons for
generic applications in activities tray.
This already makes it quite nice when launching apps from the terminal.

Implementation-wise, It calculates padding in relation to
style.STANDARD_ICON_SIZE, therefore it works both with SUGAR_SCALING at
100 and 72.

Attached is a small png of the result.

This solves the 1 issue for using X11 apps in Sugar.
Do you think it could make it into 0.102 timeline?

In the future I hope we will be able to add some sort of .desktop
launcher file support.

I'm excited that this is my first real contribution to the
shell/toolkit space that I think might get merged, please be gentle
when reviewing. :-)

Regards,
Sebastian