[Sugar-devel] Introducing myself

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:19:41 EDT 2014

Hi everybody,

My name is Ricardo Moran and this year I proposed myself as a GSoC mentor.
Although I've already participated in previous years as a GSoC student and
mentor for the ESUG organization, this would be my first time for the Sugar
Labs community so I guess I should introduce myself.
I'm 25 years old and I'm a programmer from Argentina. As probably everybody
here I'm very interested in the use of technology for education, in my case
I'm specially interested in the use of robotics in education. I work at a
research center here in Argentina where we developed Physical Etoys (
http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/), an extension of
Etoys that allows kids to program robotic kits such as Arduino, Lego
Mindstorms Nxt, DuinoBot (an argentinian version of Arduino), among others.
I encourage all of you to try it, it's not perfect but I think it's pretty
nice :)

So for this GSoC I would like to help as a mentor for the following
projects:
- Physical Etoys XO bundle: I would really like to have Physical Etoys
working on the Sugar platform so I proposed this project in order to
finally finish the sugar port, which although it's on its way I haven't
been able to finish it yet. I'm sure having another visual programming tool
for robotics will be extremely beneficial to Sugar users, specially given
the rise in popularity of robotics in education.
- Etoys touch UI: For this project we want to redesign the Etoys UI in
order to make it usable in a multitouch device. Even though this project is
specific to Etoys I think it could be very important to the Sugar community
considering the upcoming XO Touch model (and actually the use of tablets in
education, which is currently very popular).

Anyway, I'm very happy to participate and I hope we get a lot of succesful
projects. Nice to meet you all :)

Cheers,
Richo