[Sugar-devel] System notifications verbosity

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Sun Mar 16 17:51:16 EDT 2014

Hi Sam,
One of the reasons the use of notifications didn't progressed for a long
time,
was we didn't have consensus about what are the notifications we wanted to
show,
and the idea of Sugar is not interrupt to the user and keep him focused.
(One of the reasons for the single window design)
May be the first step is review what are the needed events we need notify.
By example, a notification on a bundle install IMHO is not needed,
the user installed it, then know what was installed.
Then, maybe the best is create a wiki page with the list of possible uses,
and when agreed start coding.  We need involve [DESIGN] in this.

Gonzalo

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2014 7:55 AM, "James Cameron" <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 07:24:23AM +1100, Sam Parkinson wrote:
> > > I would really like to go and code some notification usages in sugar
> > > core.  I think I could start by putting notifications in all those
> > > silent failures,
> > > eg: bundle install fails.
> > > But should we notify on things like bundle installs?
> > > (And also should we notify about anything other than bundles :O)
> >
> > I'm not sure.  Wouldn't want them to get in the way.  Is there a way
> > to see previous notifications?
>
> This is to be based off Tch's pull request, which follows this:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Notifications . System
> stuff gets a icon in the frame.
>
> > For deployments that use age capture, they might avoid notifications
> > that may not be suitable for the age of the learner.
>
> Your right.
>
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children