[Sugar-devel] My GSoC Proposal for "activity unit tests"

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:03:29 EDT 2014

On 13 March 2014 14:20, Sai Vineet <saivineet89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question: is there no other way to write UI tests? ATK is a pain.

You need some kind of out-of-process mechanism to click around, "see" the
UI etc. I'm not sure there is anything better than atk for that.

> And if I'm not wrong ATK is a accessibility related thing, so we're using
> the using the wrong way to test?

Well, dogtail, which is far as I know is the only alive test automation
framework for gtk, uses ATK in the same way. Also using the accessibility
toolkit for UI test is something seen in several other toolkits. You need
the same kind of things...

I'm not sure what is you issue with ATK exactly. The current
sugar.test.uitree stuff is really low level, you could build something more
friendly on it perhaps (or use dogtail even, I gave up on it because it was
too complicated and racy but things might have improved now that ATK is
more stable). But there might also be an issue with the amount of
information ATK exposes, some of our controls doesn't quite show up in the
tree I think. Though that might also be fixable, by improving our
accessibility story at the same time :)