[Sugar-devel] Proposing review 0.102 schedule

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Mon Mar 10 17:53:24 EDT 2014

I want propose modify the actual schedule,
to include two weeks more and allow finish the inclusion
of pending features.

We can add another unstable release, and preserve,
the previous periods:

0.101.4 - 03/24/14 - Feature Freeze
0.101.5 - 04/24/14 - String, UI, API freeze
0.102.0 - 05/24/14 - Final release

Why is the reason to propose this?

We have a few features almost ready for include.
Almost means, they received a first and in some cases
a second review. We also had a design meeting and discussed
the design issues pending of every one.
Looking at our pull request queue [1], these are:

* System notifications.
* Notifications for activities
* Backup/restore
* Journal toolbar improvements
* Improvements in language selection control panel.
* Color coded devices.

Walter and I reviewed the changes, and from these, the only clearly
defined as new features are "Backup/restore" and "Color coded devices",
all the other address some bug in sugar.
If we don't modify the schedule, at least we should make a effort to land
this two
features this week.

Maintain the changes out of sugar upstream,
is a cost for us who do the work of maintain testing rpms and images,
and I can't see a downside of modifying the schedule.

The release of Fedora 21 is not decided yet, but will not be before August
[2].
Release of a new image in AU will be in the middle of the year.
Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children

[1] https://github.com/orgs/sugarlabs/dashboard/pulls
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/Schedule