[Sugar-devel] Sugar Performance testing

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Mar 10 11:22:43 EDT 2014

El 09/03/14 12:46, Daniel Narvaez escribió:
> On 9 March 2014 17:53, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org
> <mailto:sebastian at fuentelibre.org>> wrote:
>

>     For us to base our work on 0.101+ (new) Sugar, we have to make
>     sure we have solved the performance issues plaguing (new) Sugar
>     and/or OLPC/OS 13.x.
>

> Which OLPC version are you comparing with? In the rest of the answer
> I'll call that X.x :)
Well we deployed an image based on 11.3 i.e. Fedora 14. However the
focus of my research is Sugar itself. I figure base OS issues are a
different beast and worth isolating for this first approach, that's why
I figured I wanted the same setup with different Sugar versions.

>     For this I need your advice.
>
>     *How do I setup an identical environment for (classic) 0.94 Sugar
>     and (new) 0.101+ Sugar? Can I use sugar-build for this, or
>     something else...?**
>     *
>

> On which hardware and on which distribution?
For Christmas I got an Acer Chromebook c720, cost $US200, got 2GB ram
and 16GBSSD. Pretty fast Haswell based processor, coming from an Atom
netbook. Quite happy with the upgrade, btw.

> Anyway it's probably not going to be trivial. So let me suggest an
> easier first step. You could test 0.94 activities on the top of OLPC
> 13.x. If they perform the same as OLPC X.x then we know the issue is
> the gtk3 toolkit (no change was made to the gtk2 toolkit). If they are
> bad as stock 13.x activities, then we will know it's something in the
> system. If it's something in the middle we will have to come up with a
> more complicated strategy. But I think the data we get from this
> initial testing will be useful to figure out that strategy.

I will make the time to flash 13.2 on an XO1 and do this informal test.
However I has hoping to use my dev environment because I really want a
test that can be automated/done quickly, and gives numbers, not just
impressions.

>     ***How do I profile the session (CPU usage, memory consumption,
>     timing)?
>     *
>

> For memory I would try this
>
> https://github.com/pixelb/ps_mem
>
> For CPU top should be fine, but it depends what exactly you want to
> test. For timing I usually just print out time.time intervals from the
> code :)
>
>     *Do we have some automated GUI testing? Can I make some?*
>

> See sugar-build/build/tests/shell.py, you could use something like
> that to measure startup time I suppose. Anyway you can use the same
> kind of code to click around in activities UI etc.
Is this what runs when you do ./osbuild check ?

I tried but it's failing for me and I'm not finding the error. Below is
the output. shell.log and datastore.log in home/dotsugar/logs/ don't
show any traceback either.

[icarito at aiki sugar-build]$ ./osbuild check

= Check =

* Running smoke test

Command failed: sugar-runner

Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension GLX
screen 0 shmid 110952503
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing
from list!
xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":99".
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Warning:          Compat map for group 2 redefined
 >                   Using new definition
 > Warning:          Compat map for group 3 redefined
 >                   Using new definition
 > Warning:          Compat map for group 4 redefined
 >                   Using new definition
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xinit: connection to X server lost

! Failed to run command check
[icarito at aiki sugar-build]$