[Sugar-devel] sugar-build on archlinux without broot

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 20:27:52 EDT 2014

Oh interesting! osbuild is actually using a virtualenv. I suspect it
doesn't work because we are not activating it but just running the python
executable in the virtualenv. So osbuild is using the virtualenv python,
but the child processes are not. Now if I could remember why we are not
activating the virtualenv... :)

Still I think the cleanest solution is to make sugar-base require python2
explicitly. It will also work if you are building archlinux (or gentoo)
packages.

On 10 March 2014 01:14, S. Daniel Francis <francis at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> All Arch Linux users I met usually solve this problem when developing
> by using virtualenv.

> the
> worked

> >> I think archlinux has those symlinks already, but it also has "python"
> >> which is reallly python 3.
> >> Now honestly I think that's a very bad decision archlinux made (and the
> >> reason I'm not using it anymore, fwiw, it's a real pain if you are
> compiling
> >> stuff a lot).
> >> But it is compatible with best practices suggested by the python
> >> documentation. So I think we should follow those practices in sugar-base
> >> (i.e. explicitly require python2), which will take care of this issue.
> We
> >> are already doing that in the gtk3 modules.
> >

> > Oh missed the /bin/python -> python2 suggestion. That would break
> archlinux
> > stuff which assumes python is python3.

Daniel Narvaez