[Sugar-devel] sugar-build on archlinux without broot

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 07:32:50 EDT 2014

On 9 March 2014 04:07, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:

>  Hello,
> My machine is somewhat constrained in ram and diskspace so running Fedora
> on a chroot was slow enough
> that I decided to set *"use_broot":false* on *prefs.json* with the
> intention of running the latest sugar natively.
>
> I face a few issues:
>
> First, *automake* gave me some issues, it was refusing to build with a
> cryptic error, it was because I needed to install the *ccache* package.
> Then, automake wanted to install to /usr/local/bin, so I changed group
> permissions to /usr/local (I did chgrp wheel /usr/local/*;; chmod g+w
> /usr/local/*). This installed automake.
> By the way, I don't think this process was required because my system's
> automake is newer than the one sugar-build installed. I'll look into this.

If you are not hacking sugar core a lot you could just get rid of that
module in modules.json. The only r,eason we are building it is that we
applied a patch to make python installation quicker, which is very handy
when hacking the core modules. We need to find a better solution at some
point...

> Then issues ocurred with gwebsockets. It persistently tried to use
> python3.3, my system's default, instead of python2.7. Finally I found the
> culprit, in
> ./out/sandbox/install/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osbuild/build.py I
> replaced in line 190 one instance of "python" for "python2.7" and it worked
> after that.

Thanks, pushed that change.

Finally when building sugar-base I had to set up the environment variable
> PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.7 in order for it to build.

In sugar-toolkit-gtk3 we have

PYTHON=python2
AM_PATH_PYTHON

I don't remember why python2 instead of python2.7 but I think that was
probably what the python documentation suggested..

I think we should do the same in sugar-base. I don't think I have write
access to that repo, but if you make that change and test it in archlinux,
consider it reviewed :)

> Also, when building sugar, I had to manually create the directory
> "./out/install/etc/gconf/" or it would fail to install

Can I see the output? It seems like something we should fix.

> I know this is unsupported but I just wanted to share in case somebody
> would like to setup a dev environment in archlinux. I like that it's
> rolling release and I won't have to worry about ever upgrading to the next
> version. My main intention is to have a nice setup for building activities,
> test latest sugar and also try to help diagnose the performance issues gtk3
> sugar has.

It's unsupported because it's unlikely to work out-of-the-box. But if
anyone wants to try it on the latest version of a distro and do the kind of
analysis you have been doing, then it's very useful feedback, because it's
likely to find bugs, as we have been seeing here.

Thanks.