[Sugar-devel] Zooming User Interface

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Sat Mar 1 08:44:40 EST 2014

Hi again

And here is a collaborative story authoring tool for children called
KidPad ([1]) based on ZUI and related with Pad++. It is based on Jazz
respectively Piccolo ([2]; unmantained website), which has as successor
Piccolo2 ([3]; use this website for more software technical
informations). Said this, the general concept to use a ZUI for
eductional software is not so new.

I also looked at the Sugar framework again in relation with a potential
prototyp of Sugar+ZUI. At least two options exist:
1. Put ZUI into a Linux kernel.
Pro: In this way Sugar developers could decide if they want to use it or
not. This might also have advantages with the overall perforamance
Contra: There are X11, D-Bus and Gnome dependancies.
Personally, I prefer Wayland instead of X11 but this is another Sugar
enhancement.
2. Put ZUI into the Glucose layer.
Pro: ?
Contra: Binds ZUI to Python or/and JavaSript.
Personally, I prefer my Boot to WebCore with C++Core, but this is
another Sugar story.

Christian

[1] KidPad www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/kiddesign/kidpad.shtml
[2] Jazz and Piccolo www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/