[Sugar-devel] Zooming User Interface

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Sat Mar 1 05:33:11 EST 2014

Hi Sam

Basically, I find this ZUI concept as attractive as the
multi-touchscreen and the mind mapping approach.

Also, the foundational hierachical structure of Sugar with the views you
mentioned fits perfectly with a ZUI.
The problem I have seen is that the screen gets more and more crowded
with icons when Sugar is used and collaborations are made. Also,
specific applications like the Journal suffer from this problem
respectively allow to present only a small list of documents and
activities at once. In this relation, I refer to some screenshots that I
have seen on the Sugar Labs website. A solution to this problem is a ZUI
functionality.
Even better, due to the simple GUI metaphor of Sugar deliberately
designed for children, Sugar+ZUI should already run smoothly when a user
zooms in an out with actual hardware.

The actual plan is to try to implement a prototyp of Sugar+ZUI, though
until now it is just a concept and a plan, and I wanted to ask the other
developers at first, if they are interested and if it is worth to go in
this direction at all.

Christian