[Sugar-devel] Zooming User Interface

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Sat Mar 1 05:00:31 EST 2014

Aloha

Since many years now I am looking at Sugar and the underlying basic
software technologies. Besides this, I am also interested in the
specific field of Graphical User Interfaces (GUI).

In this relation, I would like to present a concept that is an extension
of the general GUI approach of the Sugar learning software with a
Zooming User Interface (ZUI; [1]).

One inspiring moment was that recently the U.S.American government
together with companiens like Adobe, Prezi, Microsoft and Apple
announced to make software donationsto schools (related reports can be
find in the web easily).
One specific software is Prezi ([2]) that is developed in Adobe Flash
and Adobe AIR, and built on top of Django (Python web framework).
Surprisingly, Prezi is not compliant with the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act ([3]
and [4])but used in education (see again [2]).

I looked around and found the software Eagle Mode ([5]; for a first
impression see the videos on its website diretly).

Said this, I simply counted 1+1, Sugar+ZUI and Sugar+Eagle.

Such an UI approach has advantages and disadvantages that are discussed
shortly on the website of Eagle Mode (see [6]). The point with the
hardware requirements seems not to be relevant, because for example the
hardware of the latest featurephones and featuretablets (simple
smartphones and tablet computers) should be useable with a ZUI and are
available for around 30 U.S. Dollar already.

Have fun
Christian Stroetmann

[1] Wikipedia, ZUI en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooming_user_interface
[2] Wikipedia, Prezi en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prezi
[3] Wikipedia, Rehabilitation Act of
1973en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Rehabilitation_Act
[4] Wikipedia, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_508_of_the_Rehabilitation_Act
[5] Eagle Mode eaglemode.sourceforge.net
[6] Eagle Mode, Project Philosoophy
eaglemode.sourceforge.net/philosophy.html