[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Activity Hiding

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jun 19 06:51:46 EDT 2014

I see what you mean.  Well, if it were me, I would;

- make a custom build with remote SSH access enabled, with a preloaded
  public key, and a service that registers the laptop with a control
  server,

- write a control server that produces a list of IP addresses for laptops,

- write a script to enable and disable the activities,

- use a distributed shell (e.g. the Ubuntu or Debian dsh package) to
  activate the script on the 25 laptops at once,

With this preparation the daily task would be turning on the laptops,
then executing a couple of commands:

% dsh --group laptops  enable-activities
% dsh --group laptops  poweroff

I've done it this way before, though with actions other than enabling
and disabling activities.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 04:11:32PM +0530, Rachana Katkam wrote:

> Hi,
> We thought about this as a solution but this will be tedious as we have around
> 25 XO laptops. And the research duration would be almost of 3 months. So on a
> daily basis moving activities to different folders and then getting them back
> to Activities folder would definately become a overhead. We are looking for an
> automation here, if possible.
> Regards,
> Rachana K
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     that'll work. It may leave some funny artifacts in the journal: entries
>     associated with missing activities, but otherwise, it is not really any
>     different than uninstalling/ reinstalling.
>
>     -walter
>

>     On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 6:12 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>         I've had some success by renaming the Activities/Activity1 directory to
>         /home/olpc to hide an activity, and rename it back later.
>
>         Requires skill with Terminal activity.
>
>         e.g.
>
>         mv Activities/Chat.activity ~  # to hide
>
>         mv Chat.activity Activities/   # to show
>
>         Might cause errors, not sure.  Please test.
>
>         --
>         James Cameron
>         http://quozl.linux.org.au/
>

>     --