[Sugar-devel] require some information from sugar to develop other plugins

Puneet Kaur puneet.gkaur at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 04:03:42 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:19:53PM +0530, Puneet Kaur wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:59:48PM +0530, Puneet Kaur wrote:
> >     > On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <
> godiard at sugarlabs.org>
> >     wrote:
> >     >     On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Puneet Kaur <
> puneet.gkaur at gmail.com>
> >     >     wrote:
> >     >
> >     >         5. Fetching the friends details
> >     >
> >     >     What information is needed in this case?
> >     >
> >     > the names of a person's friends , and their details ( somewhat like
> >     > contacts we have in phone , map to the friends in sugar)
> >
> >     Why is this needed?
> >
> >     What will it be used for?
> >
> >     Who will have access to it?
> >

> > It is need to develop the contact cordova plugin :
> https://github.com/apache/
> > cordova-plugin-contacts/blob/master/doc/index.md
> >
> > It will be used in case the cordova apps developed for some other
> platform are
> > ported to sugar to be run as activities and in case they use the cordova
> > contact plugin then the application should be able to perform on sugar
> the
> > tasks it does on other platform ( we need to see which all can be
> supported in
> > case of sugar - pick contact, find contact and create contact are a few
> method
> > provided in the api )
> >
> > The cordova application ( the sugar actiivity) would be able to have
> access by
> > picking up a contact, finding one or creating it.
>
> What control does the user have for releasing this data to the application?

User will be informed of this before the function goes into its task. So
user can either accept ( that is allow the app to function and use the task
or deny the access to his friend list)

Also it can depend on the apps , the way they are designed, if contact
plugin is centric to the app and the app cant function without it then it
would give an error message to the user informing the same or else if the
user denies access to his friends list and the app can function its major
logic without that need, then it would continue to launch and perform but
without accessing the user's friend list

So basically the user has to first allow the activity by himself to let the
app access his contacts else the app wont be allowed to access the user's
friends list, somewhat like what happens when we install a new app from the
android store, we first agree to the access that the app would have and
over there they mention the various places it would be having access to and
once we agree to that fact, only then are we able to install the app, so
same applies to sugar too.