[Sugar-devel] Device's Universally Unique Identifier

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Thu Jul 24 11:01:50 EDT 2014

Just be careful with what you do with unique identifiers.  Having a unique
identifier for a device is often considered the same as uniquely
identifying a child.

Many countries have laws about what can be collected from younger children
without permission from their parent or school.  This permission has to be
given in a manner that children cannot intentionally or accidentally do
themselves.

This is why many websites including Google (in most cases) and Facebook do
not allow children under 13 to have accounts, and do not let parents create
accounts for them.

So while using a unique identifier may be safe within a local system,
centrally collecting information about Sugar users by default may not be.

---
SJG