[Sugar-devel] [SUMMARY] development meeting 18/07/14

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:04:40 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

Some updates:

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Martin Abente <
martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a summary of the topics we discussed in our first development
> meeting. Logs can be found here [1].
>
> *Topic #1: What should we do for 0.104?*
>
>    - Focus on core ideas:
>    - Fix or re-work collaboration? Cover web activities integration.
>       - Make Sugar more customizable? Get rid of control panel by
>       converting sections into applications. Make sugar itself modifiable like
>       activities.
>       - Make student assessment part of the sugar experience? Think of
>       ways in which all these statistics gathering efforts can become part of
>       this.
>

>    - Performance enhancements:
>    - Make Sugar more responsive? Starting by the journal.
>       - Make activities launch time faster? Moving common bits to
>       sugar-toolkit, ie., text-to-speech.
>

>    - Cover other classroom needs:
>    - Printing in Sugar?
>       - Integrate screen sharing in Sugar?
>
> These are initial suggestions, we all agreed that collaboration and
> performance should be prioritized.
>

> *Topic #2: How do we do it?*
>
>    - Keep the current structure for phases and deadlines, ie., [2].
>    - Keep the 6 months release schedules.
>    - Find a way to re-sync with  Gnome [3] and Fedora [4], so we can
>    achieve the previous item.

This is a tentative Roadmap for 0.104:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.104/Roadmap . Please read it, think about
it, and sent me your feedback.

>    -
>    - Have regular development meetings. Each 2 weeks? Each month?
>    - Have at least one code  sprint for each release, ie., SF meeting in
>    Oct/14, and UY youth summit in Sept/14.
>    - Request for former Sugar developers guidance.
>    - Share design team responsibilities among all of us.
>    - Document maintainers and responsibilities.
>
> *Topic #3: What are the Infrastructure needs?*
>
>    - *Bring Pootle back to life*! Call for a special meeting regarding
>    this.

Today (22 /04/2014), we had a meeting between gonzalo, cjl, icarito, bernie
and me. Summary: (a) bernie is going to update newpootle machine, and (b) I
am going to research a bit about setting a new Pootle instance from
scratch, to understand what would be best path to follow.

>    -
>    - Move activities repositories to github?

Gonzalo is going to make an inventory on activities and repositories.