[Sugar-devel] [Sugar-Devel] Toolkit version in the activity info

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 21:14:25 EST 2014

On 1 February 2014 03:00, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dnarvaez and I were discussing this on the irc; we really need to do
> distinction between the tool kit version in activity.info.
>
> This would be needed to for:

>    - because now changes to sugar-toolkit-gtk3 can break the gtk2 toolkit
>    (!)
>
> Basically we were thinking to make a new thing: sugar-activity3 to launch
> gtk3 activities.

It should probably just be a symlink.

> It would probably be the same at first, but in the future could be used to
> stop breakage to gtk2 activities.
>
>  I think it was a mistake to not make a sugar-activity3 when we ported.
Though I'm not sure we can undo that now. It would be an API breakage (gtk3
activities would stop to work unless they changed to sugar-activity3).

If ever make another parallel installable gtk toolkit it should definately
be sugar-toolkit4 though :)

> So yeah, is this going to break everything? Could you think of a better
> way?

It should not break much actually. Activities that have not switched to
sugar-activity3 will just not get the right sugar toolkit in view source.

The main issue is probably that activities that change to sugar-activity3
won't run on old sugar versions. Sigh... wish we had done this when porting
really :/

The alternative, as we discussed, is a new "toolkit" property in the info.
That should not break stuff, it's one more thing to remember for activity
authors though. Maybe we can have bundlebuilder warn about it.

More ideas welcome!

--
Daniel Narvaez