[Sugar-devel] The need for a notification system

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 28 14:20:28 EST 2014

Sugar already have a notification system, used by example when a user sent
a invitation to another user,
or when a user sent a journal object to a friend, but need be improved,
in particular the flashing icon in the corner, is not very visible, and
then the user need open the frame to get the message.
Also, there are a difficult balance, between a system where you don't want
distract to the user,
and showing important information.
You can look at more information and proposed ideas in the wiki for
inspiration:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Notifications
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Simple_Messages_Notification
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Messages_Notification

Gonzalo

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working on some stuff recently and I really see the need for a
> *simple* notification system. One example of a user of the system is
> here: <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/96>
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/96. The thing is I'm
> not sure how we want the system implemented. Maybe it would be good to have
> a discussion about this stuff as I think it would be used a *lot*, both
> inside the system and inside activities.
>
> Sam

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children