[Sugar-devel] Helping people to get started

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 28 09:18:00 EST 2014

Hi,
I am late in this thread, because I was disconnected for a week.
FWIW, I am listed as a contact here [1] (before me, was erikos)
then I receive mails from people interested in participate.
I usually ask for people interest and knowledge, and point them
to the wiki and our communication channels.
If he/she has a specific interest, I look for related information.
After reply many of these mails one by one, I prepared a base mail model
(at the end of this mail)
If you have any comment or suggestion, great.
Of course, would be good if other people volunteer to be a the contact,
same people need a welcome word from a real person to start.

Now, (just if is useful) a little history about the tasks lists:
We have used two keywords in the past to signal bugs useful for new
developers,
'sugar-love' [2] and 'easy-hack' [3].
I started the 'easy-hack' list, because sugar-love tickets were not too
easy,
or were related to not maintained activities.
At least in the past, the challenge has been keep the lists updated,
by example, right now there are a lot of tickets with gci tasks completed,
and we need integrate that work, and close the tickets.

Looking forward for more ways to integrate new developers,

Gonzalo

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved#Developer
[2]
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~sugar-love&group=component&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority
[3]
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=component&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&keywords=~easy-hack

Gonzalo

My base mail model:

*"There are many ways to start contributing, you can help us in the
development of Activities *

*(the way we call to the applications) or with core functionalities.*

*I recommend start with activities, are smaller and easier to master.*

*Currently we use python and gtk3 to develop activities, and support gtk2
(but we don't do any new development  using it). Also with the last version
of sugar (0.100) is possible develop activities using Javascript/html*

*To create your development environment, look to this page [1]  and to see
how to contribute to sugar, look here[2]*

*You can find many tasks to do in our list of pending bugs [3]*

*I use this shortcut [4]l <http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/bugs_index.html>
to see the pending bugs in the main activities.*

*Other tasks where we need help are:*

** Port remaining activities from gtk2 to gtk3.*

** Create/improve javascript/html versions of activities.*

** Adopt orphan activities.*

*We have a site where our users download activities[5], you can check for
activities when you want contribute or create your own activities. We also
have a wiki, a little chaotic, but with a lot of information [6]. *

*An important factor when you participate in a open source project, is the
communication. Try to share what you are working on, and request help if
needed. Subscribe to our mailing list [7] and or connect to our IRC channel
(#sugar in freenode). Our community is very friendly, don't be afraid.*

*Take a look around, and tell me if you need more specific guidance.*

*Finally, welcome! I hope you enjoy working and learning with us. *

*Gonzalo*

*[1] http://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html
<http://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html>*

*[2] http://developer.sugarlabs.org/contributing.md.html
<http://developer.sugarlabs.org/contributing.md.html>*

*[3] bugs.sugarlabs.org <http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/>*

*[4] http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/bugs_index.htm
<http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/bugs_index.html>*

*[5] http://activities.sugarlabs.org <http://activities.sugarlabs.org/>*

*[6] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been seeing this a *lot* on the irc channel
>
> 19:44 -!- moriarty_ [~anubhav at 14.139.82.6] has joined #sugar
> 19:45 < moriarty_> Hi ! I'm new here and I would like to contribute to
> your
>                    project. Can someone get me started?
> 20:01 -!- moriarty_ [~anubhav at 14.139.82.6] has quit [Ping timeout: 272
> seconds]
>
> There are really a lot of people that would like to contribute. But we
> have few good resources to get them started and I have the feeling we are
> not doing a good job at pointing them to those.
>
> developer.sugarlabs.org is the most updated and valuable resource these
> days but from a quick look to stats.sugarlabs.org it is very very low in
> number of visits. The getting involved page on the wiki is not doing much
> better.
>
> Another major issue is that developer.sugarlabs.org does not have a page
> about tasks contributors could tackle, which is usually what they ask for
> in irc.
>
> What I would like to do is
>
> * Decide what should be the entry point for developers.
> * Make sure it's well linked both from the main website and from the wiki,
> which seems to be the most important entry points.
> * Put a link in the irc channel subject.
> * Add a page on developer.sugarlabs.org on how to find tasks to work on.
> * Figure out how get these people to talk to someone, if no one is around
> when they join irc. I have the feeling subscribing to the mailing list is
> too much of a barrier. Maybe the bot could point them to a page with a list
> of people they can email directly?  I see Gonzalo already volunteers for
> that in the wiki, I'm happy to share the workload if necessary.
>
> About the first point in the list, we probably need an intermediate page
> like
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved
>
> but I think clicking on "Developer" should then go directly to
> developer.sugarlabs.org.
>
> Something to keep in consideration is that doing changes to the main
> website might be difficult (a full rewrite is planned but currently stuck).
> Though I think we should try to at least get a link to Getting_Involved
> there.
>
> So this is all a bit random, I'll try to make more concrete proposals
> later, but I would really like to hear people thoughts. Most of the times,
> when I scroll back my irc screen I see a potential contributor quitting
> like that and it's a bit depressing...
>
> --
> Daniel Narvaez

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children