[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Rework the wireless control panel section to respect non-wireless connections

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 14:56:20 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 January 2014 03:49, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Fixes #4410  https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/4410
>>>
>>> The 'Discard network history' button is peculiar to Sugar, and
>>> is destructive to all non-wireless connections, despite being in
>>> the 'Wireless' section of the control panel.
>>>
>>> In the proposed patch[0], the code variables and functions are
>>> renamed and coded to be specific to wireless connections.
>>>
>>> The 'Radio' checkbox instruction and 'Discard ...' button are
>>> reworded to avoid confusion over their state and actions.[1]
>>>
>>> If wireless hardware is not present on the system, the 'Wireless'
>>> section of the control panel is excluded.[2]
>>>
>>> [0,1,2] - https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/228
>>>

>> Daniel Narvaez
>> wrote via
>>  notifications at github.com
>>
>>> It seems like the code is handling adhoc networks specially, but I
>>> didn't find an explanation of that change. Can you please elaborate on it?
>>

>> The current code at,
>>
>> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/src/jarabe/model/network.py#L835
>>
>> tests for sugar-internal connections by reading the connection_id string.
>>
>> The new code is specific to wireless connections.
>> The first condition, the presence of a wifi_settings list, avoids 7 of
>> the 7 sugar-internal
>> connections on XO-1.  The sugar ad hoc connections are avoided by a
>> second condition,
>> the same test as in the currrent code,
>> connection_id.startswith(ADHOC_CONNECTION_ID_PREFIX).
>>

> So to make that more explicit, compared to the old code we are *not*
> clearing anymore gsm, mesh and xs_mesh networks. Is that correct?

The sugar-internal gsm, mesh, & xs_mesh connections are not cleared in the
old or proposed, new code.

> Do we have another way to clear gsm?

There is a separate control panel for GSM modems. I'm not very familiar
with it though.

I'm not too sure we should stop clearing mesh and xs_mesh. It is wifi too
> and it might play a role in the unbreak procedures people have describing
> in this thread.

See above (the sugar-internal mesh and gsm are not cleared).   I suppose
someone might create another such connection at a command line.

>  What's the harm of doing that?

Clearing non-sugar-internal mesh connections should be ok (as that is the
current behavior).

GSM matters might better be handled on its own control panel.

So yes, GSM users creating custom, non-sugar-gsm connections would be
affected if they depended on the 'Discard network history' button.
The modemconfiguration panel, though, seems to use only the one
GSM_CONNECTION_ID = 'Sugar Modem Connection'
from jarabe.model.network.
So perhaps best for now, to continue to discard non-sugar GSM connections,
and test for other GSM connections before excluding that control panel
subsection.

I'll close the pull request and resubmit changes sequentially as
recommended in the other note.

Thanks for reviewing,          --Fred