[Sugar-devel] Feature proposal: ability to start an activity from inside another

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Jan 22 08:58:32 EST 2014

Sam, Martin,

2014/1/21 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Android has a really simple system where you can say go to
>> www.abc.blogs.org in any app that can open it. That opens it in a web
>> browser or in the blogs.org app if installed. This works because the
>> blogs.org app says it can handle these types of links in its manifest.
>
> Yep, we discussed Android's 'intents' machinery, which seems the most
> elegant API design for this, back with Manuq, Gonzalo and dsd in
> Parana a while back.
>
> Manuq -- is building a basic intents API too large a task? Or perhaps
> changing existing activities is the big elephant?

I'll re-read Android's docs for Intents and tell you.  But anyway is
the best reference.

We should be able to tell
"Sugar, start this object with the best activity you can find",
"Sugar, start this object with this specific activity",
"Sugar, start this object with the activity it was created"

Note that this is the same thing the Journal exposes in the menus
"Start", "Start with..." and "Resume".  So the code is already there.

I'm trying to prevent a change in every activity, and instead use what
we already have for the Journal:
- the datastore objects metadata
- the activities mime_types declaration
- the shell registration of available activities

I'll see if this suits to Android Intents.

--
.. manuq ..