[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Rework the wireless control panel section to respect non-wireless connections

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 18:41:04 EST 2014

On 22 January 2014 00:31, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:24:31AM +0100, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> > Before we go further discussing implementation, could someone
> > explain why we need a global "Discard wireless connections" button
> > vs the "Forget" item in the device palette which someone has mostly
> > implemented already?
>
> Does "Forget" forget all networks, not just the ones present?

I'm referring to this patch, I couldn't find it before.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/153

It's actually per network, not per device, so it only forgets present
networks. Can you explain why we need to be able to forget non-present ones?

> Otherwise, the only reason I can think of is the installed base
> expectations and training issues.
>
> If I recall correctly, the main use case was inability to properly
> handle access points that either changed their passphrase or switched
> between encrypted and not-encrypted.  If you add these test cases and
> pass them, I see no major problem with removing "Discard...".

It seems like these cases would be covered by the patch I linked.