[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Rework the wireless control panel section to respect non-wireless connections

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 21:49:04 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fixes #4410  https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/4410
>
> The 'Discard network history' button is peculiar to Sugar, and
> is destructive to all non-wireless connections, despite being in
> the 'Wireless' section of the control panel.
>
> In the proposed patch[0], the code variables and functions are
> renamed and coded to be specific to wireless connections.
>
> The 'Radio' checkbox instruction and 'Discard ...' button are
> reworded to avoid confusion over their state and actions.[1]
>
> If wireless hardware is not present on the system, the 'Wireless'
> section of the control panel is excluded.[2]
>
> [0,1,2] - https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/228

Daniel Narvaez
wrote via
 notifications at github.com

> It seems like the code is handling adhoc networks specially, but I didn't
> find an explanation of that change. Can you please elaborate on it?

The current code at,
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/src/jarabe/model/network.py#L835

tests for sugar-internal connections by reading the connection_id string.

The new code is specific to wireless connections.
The first condition, the presence of a wifi_settings list, avoids 7 of the
7 sugar-internal
connections on XO-1.  The sugar ad hoc connections are avoided by a second
condition,
the same test as in the currrent code,
connection_id.startswith(ADHOC_CONNECTION_ID_PREFIX).