[Sugar-devel] Collaboration support for sugar web activities

Emil Dudev emildudev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:09:05 EST 2014

Please don't look at the poor javascript code :(

I created a web activity that can act as sugar's mesh for web activities
(with a few lines of code it should work for normal activities, too).

This time I went the other way around. Instead of sending invites, when an
activity is shared, everyone on the mesh can join it (it was easier to
implement). Normal invites could also be implemented, I just have to work
on integrating it with sugar's frame (for the invite notification).

Since this 'new mesh' is a web activity, it can be opened with a normal
desktop browser. Yet it will have little to no functionality. The simplest
explanation: the mesh can not know the path of an activity to open. With a
little work, this problem can be solved.

For the past 2 days I went deep into TogetherJS and I no longer believe
that it will suit sugar's needs.
The first reason is a WebKit bug. I noticed that when a CSS transform
property is used, the screen will go blank (gray). I manually edited
TogetherJS' jQuery modifications to not include CSS transforms, yet this
bug still happens. I have not yet found the problem. Although this is a
WebKit bug (it does not happen outside of sugar), it is one of the reasons
to drop TogetherJS.
The second one is the communication protocol. Although it is quite easy
(the server just replies the messages to all clients and lets them handle
everything), the protocol isn't much secure and may cause more traffic than
needed. I don't expect a kid to look at the code and 'hack' the protocol,
yet I still don't like the idea of leaving everything to the clients.
An other reason, although not much of a problem and more a feature, is the
fact that TogetherJS syncs every single mouse move, mouse click, form
change, input field update... These are lots of unneeded stuff.

As it was discussed earlier, a low-level API can work fine for sugar and it
won't be hard to create such an API. The thing that will be lost (and hard
to implement) are the many neat high-level features of TogetherJS.

About what I made and how to test it:
The sugar-net web activity is the 'mesh'. And a nice activity to test with
is the modified gtd-activity.
Once the sugar-net activity is started, it will communicate with a WebMesh
class in apisocket.py.
When a web activity (like gtd-activity) is shared, it will appear as a
shared activity when you hover the mouse over the XO icon in the sugar-net
activity.
When you click on it from an other mesh activity (an other instance of
sugar), it will automatically start the web activity (gtd-activity) and the
shared session will begin between the two.

Both sugar-net and gtd-activity still use Mozilla's hub server for the
communication.

sugar-toolkit-gtk3:
https://github.com/edudev/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/tree/webcollaboration
sugar: https://github.com/edudev/sugar/tree/webcollaboration