[Sugar-devel] Deprecation policy - was: About show-launcher option

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 14 10:44:04 EST 2014

I agree with the overall proposal.

About how much time we should keep the deprecate code two notes:

manuq said:  "I think when the toolbars
API changed we gave about 1 year for adaptation."

I think this is not correct. The "new" toolbars were added in Sugar 0.86
[1],
and removed in the port to gtk3 (in fact old gtk2 activities continue
working)

This can be a extreme case, but we saw how disruptive can be little changes
like the service_name change introduced a time ago.

I was looking at the update date for the activities in ASLO:

111 activities were updated in the last 180 days (~6 months)
81 more in next 6 months (192 in the last year)
81 more in the previous year (273 in the last two years)
287 activities were not updated in the last two years

total = 560 activities

Maybe we can keep the code 2 years (4 releases) by default,
and look for agreement in special cases. Usually the change in the
activities
will be much easier than the redesign needed in many cases
by the change to new toolbars, and not affect so many activities.

Gonzalo

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Notes#Activity_Toolbar_redesign

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> 2014/1/13 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> > So, to summarize what I'm proposing on top of what Manuel posted
> >
> > * All interfaces which are not prefixed with an underscore are public.
>
> Yes, and we should also add the __all__ = [] to private modules.
>
> > * The authoritative source for deprecated interfaces and their timeframe
> is
> > a page in sugar-docs.
>
> And we have our first addition: icon_size .  I can prepare a patch,
> but we should discuss for how long we will keep it.  One cycle?
>
> > * sugar-web uses semantic versioning.
>
> I agree.
>
> Adding a short pharagraph in each toolkit module will be an
> interesting exercise.
>
> --
> .. manuq ..

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children