[Sugar-devel] Deprecation policy - was: About show-launcher option

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 19:06:45 EST 2014

On 14 January 2014 00:44, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> > We just need a way to know what is public API and what is not. Maybe, for
> > new code, everything is public unless it has the usual underscore or
> there
> > are inline docs mentioning it's not public. For old code well... I guess
> we
> > just decide case by case.
>
> Yes, I think that's valid for old code too.  If you can import a
> class, function or constant variable from the toolkit, its public.

Trying to make sure we are on the same page here, the devil is in details
on this kind of stuff :)

* I think stuff prefix with _ is private, even if you can import it.
* I think it should be possible to mark stuff private by documentation.
Maybe we should use a PRIVATE "keyword" so that it's more human and machine
greppable. That's because sometimes you have modules that are only used
internally, but you don't want to put _ everywhere.
* I'm OK to consider existing code which doesn't follow the two rules above
as public. It means that if we want to clean up we will probably have to
deprecate some stuff, but it's fine if it keeps the policy simpler.