[Sugar-devel] Collaboration support for sugar web activities

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 13:51:15 EST 2014

On 12 January 2014 19:01, Emil Dudev <emildudev at gmail.com> wrote:

> About the telepathy part to send only the invites and establish the
> connection:
> I can't seem to be able to complete the invitation accepted process.
> Sometimes it works, sometimes not (mostly not). For normal sugar activities
> it's the same (with the exception that with them it mostly works, at least
> I think it works).
> Exchanging the TogetherJS ID is not a problem. The invited user can't seem
> to connect to the telepathy channel properly.
> As you noted above, it's a protocol mess.
> If telepathy is completely dropped for web activities, then a question
> arises: how to send the invite with the unique ID?

I don't know the details of the current invitation protocol. I suppose you
could register a "private" activity with the server and then send a token
to the invitee. Making this up as an example, not really well thought :)

> Also, I still don't like using 1 server and having everything else depend
> on that 1 server. The server would most likely have to process a lot of
> traffic.
> Would it be possible to use a peer to peer connection with web sockets?
> Browsers don't support this, with reason. But if sugar's core is used, it
> should be possible.

Did you investigate WebRTC? If nothing else I suspect it would allow to
exchange data between peers. I'm not sure if it provides any facility that
we could use to share presence information, i.e. a shared
buddies+activiities list. That's the really hard problem to solve if you
want fully p2p communication.