[Sugar-devel] What should be the ideal range for animations FPS ?

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Jan 8 16:18:57 EST 2014

2014/1/8 laurent bernabe <laurent.bernabe at gmail.com>:

> 2014/1/8 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 11:49:56AM +0100, laurent bernabe wrote:
>> True, but if you make a simple test available, others can test it for
>> you.
>>
>> Especially so if you can figure a way to give the test report on
>> screen, like a frame rate achieved.
>

> If I've well understood, I should give a way to turn on/off the frame rate
> display ?
> (Like in some games / 3D frameworks).

A display with the current FPS is great for testers.

For your own tests, there are impressive debugging tools in web
technologies that I never seen before.  The inspector timeline in
Chrome, for example:
https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/docs/timeline

There you can see how much takes your app for painting and for other
calculations, so you can find the bottleneck in your code.  You can
even click on a paint record and it will highlight the area of the
screen that was changed.

>> Yes, it is not practical to have a suggested range given the number of
>> variables.
>>
>> However, designing for higher values can have benefits ... in research
>> for Netrek it was found that:
>>
>> - five frames per second is a minimum for perception of motion, but
>>   most users will perceive the steps and use them as the basis for
>>   their reaction, such that when the rate is increased their training
>>   has to be redone,
>>
>> - ten frames per second is preferable, with most users still
>>   perceiving the steps,
>>
>> - 25 frames per second is very good, with most users not perceiving
>>   the steps,
>>
>> - 50 frames per second is excellent.
>

> Thank you very much for this guideleness.
> So, in my case, I should keep a frame rate around 50, if I really need to
> fix it myself (I am thinking about the javascript requestAnimationFrame()
> function).

With requestAnimationFrame you don't force a constant FPS.  Instead,
the callback is called as fast as your machine can.  So is good to
decouple the duration of your animation from the frame rate.

If you move your image 2 pixels each frame, the velocity will vary in
diferent systems.  Instead, you should calculate how many milliseconds
have passed since the last frame, and move your imave accordingly.
Here is when interpolation comes into play, and a tweener lib becomes
handy.

>> > And also, as I've been told on this mailing list, there is a new
>> > Javascript API in order to let the computer(web browser ?) hold this
>> > value for the programmer.
>> >
>> > So I think the "issue" can easily be solved : at least with this
>> > requestAnimationFrame() function.
>>
>> Great.
>>
>> --
>> James Cameron